Local FSN Committees no image

Published on January 24th, 2010 | by Editor


FSNs worldwide support Haiti

As a result of the devastating earthquake that struck on January 12, our FSN colleagues in Haiti are in urgent need of your financial support. FSNs in many embassies are setting up relief funds and other actions that aim to support the 793 members of the FSN community in Haiti and their families.

U.S. Air Force Medics in Haiti (by U.S. Air Force Photo by Master Sgt. Russell E. Cooley IV)

U.S. Air Force Medics in Haiti (by U.S. Air Force Photo by Master Sgt. Russell E. Cooley IV)

IFSA welcomes reports on individual initiatives taken by FSN associations in support of the Haiti victimes. Please share your local initiatives with colleagues worldwide via the IFSA net web site. Just leave a comment after this article.

The Department of State established the Relief Fund to respond to crisis or humanitarian requests on behalf of Foreign Service National employees serving all agencies of the United States Government. A recent State Department cable explains how embassy employees can make donations to the Foreign Service National (FSN) Emergency Relief Fund.  We summarize the various ways in which we can make donations.

Cash Contributions: you may take dollars or local currency in cash or check (payable to the “U.S. Department of State”) to the embassy cashier.  The cashier will prepare an OF-158 General Receipt for your contribution which may be used for your tax purposes.

Payroll Deductions: All LES paid by Charleston or Bangkok may send an e-mail (subject: “LES Pay Deduction Request for FSN Emergency Relief Fund”) to PayHelp@state.gov.  Please include your name, address, LES number along with the following statement: “I intend to make a gift in the amount of XX (local currency amount) as a contribution to the FSN Emergency Relief Fund. I request the Department of State to deduct from each of my bi-weekly salary payment(s) XX(local currency amount) for XX number of pay periods, until the total gift amount has been deducted.” If the contribution is a one-time deduction, indicate one “1” pay period in your request so that it is clear that this is a one-time deduction. Earnings and Leave statements can be used for tax purposes (if applicable in your country of residence). Customer service will review the request and then forward it to FSN Pay.  For questions about this process, please call the payroll customer support phone number (800) 521-2553.

Tags: ,

About the Author

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑